Stuff The Lever Reported This Week:
• J.D. Vance Helped Lobbyists Weaken His Rail Safety Bill — The Ohio senator quietly delayed the timeline for safer tank cars that regulators say could help prevent train spills like the one in East Palestine.
• Fossil Fuel Giant Suncor Chooses Shareholders Over Breathable Air — The oil and gas firm’s Colorado refinery is systematically poisoning the air while the company massively expands stock buybacks and dividends.
• Oil Lobby Pushed Pollution Loophole for Wildfire Smoke — Climate change is intensifying toxic wildfires, but Big Oil has pushed to exempt the resulting pollution from federal air quality standards.
• The Great Bank Robbery Of 2023 — How the government pays banks big money while letting them rip off everyone else.
• YOU LOVE TO SEE IT: Climate Justice Hits The Courts — Also, the senate wakes up on the insurance industry’s climate hypocrisy, heat pumps are in, Portland voters save a rent cap, and more.
Stuff To Watch Or Listen To:
• LEVER TIME: Pentagon Whistleblower Says The Government Is Hiding “Non-Human” Technology — David and investigative journalist Leslie Kean discuss new revelations about the government’s potential knowledge of UFOs.
• THE AUDIT: Liberals, Leftists, And Pragers, Oh My — The team dissects PragerU’s videos on race, liberalism, and affirmative action.
• LEVER TIME PREMIUM: The Climate Crisis Gets Really Real — The Lever’s reporters do a deep-dive on the climate crisis.