What The Lever Reported This Week:
• Billionaire Gifts To Thomas: Generosity Or Taxable Income? — If billionaires’ largesse was designed to keep the justice on the high court, experts say the money could be considered a taxable payment.
• Build Back B.S. — Labor activists say a scandal-plagued construction company is taking advantage of Biden’s climate plan.
• Larry Fink’s Big Climate Lie — Coverage of the BlackRock CEO offers an object lesson in how not to report on greenwashing.
• LEFT WONDERING: How Can You Invest In An Ethical Fashion? — Plus, the best books for an introduction to politics.
• YOU LOVE TO SEE IT: Southwest To Pay Up For Holiday Meltdown — Plus, the EPA introduces limits on the toxic gas in the East Palestine disaster, Starbucks has to reopen union-busted locations, and old trees get new safeguards.
Stuff To Watch Or Listen To:
• LEVER TIME: We Need To Talk About Zionism — David sits down with Vox journalist Zack Beauchamp for a candid conversation about the complicated history of Israel’s foundational ideology.
• MOVIES VS. CAPITALISM: The Muppet Christmas Carol (w/ Wren Mack) — The MVC team analyzes a zany adaptation of Charles Dickens’ iconic holiday story.
• LEVER TIME PREMIUM: Big Tech Is “Attention Fracking” Our Brains — David speaks with Princeton professor D. Graham Burnett about our weakened attention spans and the profit driven motive causing it.