What The Lever Reported This Week:
• Boeing Supplier Ignored Warnings Of “Excessive Amount Of Defects,” Former Employees Allege — Weeks before Alaska Airlines’ terrifying debacle, one of the aircraft’s manufacturers was accused of systematically ignoring safety problems.
• How Boeing Bought Washington — Before the recent Boeing disaster, the company and its parts supplier Spirit AeroSystems spent years lobbying to boost production and weaken safety regulations.
• Nikki Haley Helped Boeing Kill Dark Money Disclosure Initiative — Following 737 crashes, the GOP presidential hopeful helped crush a proposal to force more disclosure of Boeing’s spending to influence safety regulators.
• How Kroger's Merger Push Leads Back To Alleged Human Trafficker — To defend its controversial corporate consolidation plan, the grocery giant highlighted ties to local growers — including one that hired an alleged human trafficking kingpin.
• Big Oil Is Weaponizing The First Amendment — Fossil fuel’s favorite law firm is using the concept of free speech to legally defend the industry’s misleading climate claims as well as silence its critics.
• YOU LOVE TO SEE IT: Regulators Come For Boeing and Co. — Following The Lever’s reporting, the companies behind a recent airliner accident could be facing a reckoning.
Stuff To Watch Or Listen To:
• LEVER TIME: Amid Boeing Crisis, Is It Still Safe To Fly? — David Sirota and guests explore how the air travel industry — including manufacturers like Boeing — sacrificed quality for profit.
• MOVIES VS. CAPITALISM: Alien (w/ Joe Mayall) — The MVC team travels to space, where no one can hear you scream… due to workplace endangerment.
• LEVER TIME PREMIUM: How Wall Street Could Ruin College Football — The Lever team explains everything you need to know about how private equity could soon get involved in college sports.
The Lever In The News:
• The Lever On Weekend Edition — NPR's Scott Simon speaks with The Lever's Helen Santoro about her reporting on outdated health insurer directories and lower reimbursement rates for providers and patients.
• The Lever On Democracy Now! — David Sirota appeared on Democracy Now! to discuss The Lever’s breaking original reporting on the Boeing debacle.
• A “Miraculous” Landing Raises Systemic Airline Safety Questions — The Lever’s Katya Schwenk appeared on The Big Story podcast to discuss what is happening with Boeing and the airline industry.
• Boeing Manufacturer IGNORED Safety Warnings By Staff — Ana Kasparian discusses The Lever’s coverage on The Young Turks.
• GOP Hopeful Nikki Haley Involved in Blocking Boeing 2020 Transparency Initiative — Democracy Now! discusses our coverage of Nikki Haley and Boeing.
Thank You To Our Newest Lever Leaders:
Lever Leaders provide us with our highest level of support and score additional perks in return. Each week, we highlight folks who’ve taken that step, and the reasons they say they’ve done so.
• Marie Christine Duggan — “You dig deep with real investigative journalism about issues that matter. Less election coverage, more economics, like Boeing and the labor issues at the trains. That stuff is great and nobody else is doing it.”
• Robin Monks — “I wanted to support journalism that traditional advertiser-funded business models wouldn't allow.”
NOTE: You must be logged in to LeverNews.com when you click the button above to upgrade.