What The Lever Reported This Week:
• Internal Doc Reveals Biden’s Troubling Climate Summit Plan — Government memo suggests the Biden administration is angering allies by undermining strict standards for a new global carbon market.
• Why Drugs Are Disappearing From Your Insurance Coverage — Powerful companies are removing hundreds of medicines from insurance plans — and they’re spending millions to stop attempts at reform.
• “Life-Threatening” Failures To Communicate — Public advocates say telecom companies aren’t meeting standards designed to keep phones and internet working during disasters.
• The King Of Wall Street B.S. — A new biography of Ray Dalio, founder of the world’s largest hedge fund, offers a damning indictment of the elite compulsion to conflate wealth with genius.
• YOU LOVE TO SEE IT: Mining Towns Get Clean Energy Boost — Plus, California farmworkers leverage new labor bill, New York will seal criminal convictions, regulators aim to crack down on overdraft fees, and workers strike on Cyber Monday.
NEW E-BOOK: Protect Yourself Against Corporate Health Care
Profits Over Patients: The Corporatization of American Health Care And What You Can Do To Protect Yourself weaves together years of investigative reporting on America’s extraordinarily complicated health care system, identifying the private interests and craven politicians profiting off misery. Our e-books are exclusively for paid supporters of The Lever.
Stuff To Watch Or Listen To:
• LEVER TIME: Artificial Intelligence Is Denying Americans Health Care — The Lever breaks down how the country’s largest health insurer uses artificial intelligence to deny rehabilitation services for older and disabled Americans.
• LEVER TIME PREMIUM: Affordable Housing Is Saving Paris — The Lever speaks with journalist and author Cole Stangler about his new book, which explores how housing affects the economic and cultural character of Paris.
• MOVIES VS. CAPITALISM: Ask MVC Anything — The MVC team answers questions from listeners about the inner workings of Hollywood.
• MOVIES VS. CAPITALISM PREMIUM: The Killer, The Curse, Rustin, Britney Spears, Band Of Brothers — The MVC team chat about David Fincher's new film The Killer, and other media-related topics.