To expand our team, we are looking to hire several additional full-time journalists. See job descriptions below.
Furthermore, we always welcome freelance story pitches. Click here to learn how to pitch us.
Finally, we are looking for freelance illustrators to create compelling images for our stories. If you fit the bill, please email us at email@example.com.
Job status: Full-time
Salary Range: $55,000-$80,000
The Lever is looking for an enterprising and aggressive senior reporter with a track record of delivering big stories that break through the noise and facilitate change. The reporter will be a reliable self-starter, using their subject-matter expertise and deep well of sources to generate eye-opening investigative scoops and analyses based on the news cycle of the day. At the same time, the reporter will excel at independently cultivating long-term enterprise projects. Candidates who have a history of groundbreaking reporting in the realm of politics, business, or the environment will be considered. The reporter will be expected to file a mix of short stories on the news and longer deep-dive reports. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including a generous health care stipend, office expense reimbursements, and paid time off.
- At least five to six years experience as a reporter.
- Experience filing record requests, tracking political donations, and scrutinizing business records.
- A strong grasp of what makes for a good Lever story.
- A keen ability to track and respond to the ever-shifting news cycle.
- Proven aptitude in hitting deadlines and filing clean and accurate copy on complex, highly scrutinized matters.
- Comfort and proficiency in operating independently, while also working in harmony with a small team of hardworking remote journalists.
- Commitment to The Lever’s subscriber-supported model and approach to accountability journalism.
- The passion, imagination, and ambition needed to build a transformative news organization.
How to apply for these positions:
Send a cover letter, resume, references, and three work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lever is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons.