We also always welcome freelance story pitches. Click here to learn how to pitch us.
Job status: Full-time
Salary Range: $70,000-$90,000
The Lever is looking for an enterprising and aggressive senior reporter with a track record of delivering big stories that break through the noise and facilitate change. The reporter will be a reliable self-starter, using their subject-matter expertise and deep well of sources to generate eye-opening investigative scoops and analyses based on the news cycle of the day. At the same time, the reporter will excel at independently cultivating long-term enterprise projects.
Candidates who have a history of groundbreaking reporting in the realm of politics, business, or the environment will be considered. The reporter will be expected to file a mix of short stories on the news and longer deep-dive reports. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including a generous health care stipend, office expense reimbursements, and paid time off.
- At least five to eight years experience as a reporter.
- Experience filing record requests, tracking political donations, and scrutinizing business records.
- A strong grasp of what makes for a good Lever story.
- A keen ability to track and respond to the ever-shifting news cycle.
- Proven aptitude in hitting deadlines and filing clean and accurate copy on complex, highly scrutinized matters.
- Comfort and proficiency in operating independently, while also working in harmony with a small team of hardworking remote journalists.
- Commitment to The Lever’s subscriber-supported model and approach to accountability journalism.
- The passion, imagination, and ambition needed to build a transformative news organization.
Job status: Part-time three-month fellowship
The Lever is looking for a part-time editorial fellow with the drive to become a vital member of our editorial team. The three-month fellowship will involve producing one aggregated news story each week (our popular Saturday feature, You Love To See It), a project that is expected to require roughly four hours of work each week.
The fellow will receive hands-on support from our editorial team, is welcome to attend our daily editorial meetings, and will be encouraged to pitch and write additional stories for The Lever, for which they will be paid our standard freelance rate. The fellowship is designed to help cultivate the next generation of independent investigative journalists, with opportunities for internal growth.
- Experience and passion for hard-hitting independent journalism.
- Ability to hit deadlines and craft clear, compelling, accurate copy on complex, highly scrutinized subjects.
- Interest in tracking and responding to an ever-shifting news cycle.
- Familiarity with digital tools including Google Docs, Slack, and Signal.
- Comfort in operating independently, while also working in harmony with a small team of hardworking remote journalists.
- Impeccable organization skills.
- Commitment to The Lever’s subscriber-funded model and approach to accountability journalism.
- The passion, imagination, and ambition needed to help build a transformative news organization.
How To Apply For These Opportunities:
Send a cover letter, resume, references, and three clips to email@example.com.
The Lever is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons.