To expand our team, we are looking to hire several additional journalists. See job descriptions below.
Furthermore, we always welcome freelance story pitches. Click here to learn how to pitch us.
Finally, we are looking for freelance illustrators to create compelling images for our stories. If you fit the bill, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job status: Full-time
Salary Range: $60,000-$80,000
The Lever is looking for an experienced full-time news editor to bring our hard-hitting investigative reporting and analysis to the next level. The news editor will be deeply versed in money and politics and will closely follow the news cycle, in order to generate story ideas, assign reporting projects, and conduct top-level editing of draft articles from the reporting staff. The news editor will also work closely with the editor-in-chief and managing editor in supporting the newsroom and coordinating the publishing schedule. The news editor will occasionally write short news posts, and will have opportunities to develop innovative reporting projects. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits including a generous health care stipend, office expense reimbursements, and paid time off.
- At least three to five years experience as an editor.
- A keen ability to track and respond to the ever-shifting news cycle.
- Deep knowledge of U.S. political and financial systems.
- Experience filing record requests, tracking political donations, and scrutinizing business records.
- Excellent top-level editing skills, with the ability to turn around clean, accurate, and well-crafted copy on complex, highly scrutinized matters on tight deadlines.
- A strong grasp of what makes for a good Lever story.
- Proficiency in helping to supervise a small team of hardworking remote journalists.
- Impeccable organization skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to The Lever’s subscriber-supported model and approach to accountability journalism.
- The passion, imagination, and ambition needed to build a transformative news organization.
Job status: Part-time (Roughly 4 hours a week)
Duration: Three months
The Lever is looking for a part-time editorial fellow with the drive to become a vital member of our editorial team. The fellow will be responsible for producing one aggregated news story each week (our popular Saturday feature, You Love To See It). The fellow will receive hands-on support from our editorial team, is welcome to attend our daily editorial meetings, and will be encouraged to pitch and write additional stories for The Lever, for which they will be paid our standard freelance rate of $400/story and up. The fellowship is designed to help cultivate the next generation of independent investigative journalists, with opportunities for internal growth.
- Experience and passion for hard-hitting independent journalism.
- Ability to hit deadlines and craft clear, compelling, accurate copy on complex, highly scrutinized subjects.
- Interest in tracking and responding to an ever-shifting news cycle.
- Familiarity with digital tools including Google Docs, Slack, and Signal.
- Comfort in operating independently, while also working in harmony with a small team of hardworking remote journalists.
- Impeccable organization skills.
- Commitment to The Lever’s subscriber-funded model and approach to accountability journalism.
- The passion, imagination, and ambition needed to help build a transformative news organization.
How to apply for these positions:
Send a cover letter, resume, references, and three work samples to email@example.com
The Lever is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workplace. People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all qualified persons.